Autism is a condition which presents itself as a wide spectrum of disorders and is prevalent through the UK. People who have autistic spectrum disorders can be affected differently, with cases ranging from mild to severe.
Throughout this qualification, you will gain an understanding of the spectrum of autistic disorders and how they can affect people in a variety of ways, as well as exploring the importance of using a person-centred approach to provide support.
You will also understand how to use appropriate communication skills and positive behaviour to encourage individuals with autistic spectrum conditions to live fulfilling and independent lives.
Students wishing to undertake the certificate should be aged 19 or over. You will need to have at least a Level 1 qualification in literacy as you will be expected to write answers for assessment purposes.
|Study level||Cost||Additional fees|
|19+||FREE *subject to eligibility checks||There are no additional costs if you meet the eligibility criteria which will be explained during enrolment.|
You will be added to our Equal platform, where you will be able to access all the learning resources and assessments to complete. You will be allocated your own personal tutor who you can contact throughout your studies. You will be required to work through a series of tasks and activities designed to reinforce the learning process and demonstrate your knowledge. Your personal tutor will then assess your work and provide you with constructive feedback for each unit.
This course is available paper-based too on request.
You should be able to work at a Level 1 in Functional Skills.
This is a 16-week course that requires your own time management for study. You will be given submission dates to keep you focused on the 16-week timeframe.
This is a distance learning course, study time is flexible so you can fit your learning around your lifestyle.
This course is suitable for anyone who wishes to develop their understanding of autism and the principles of supporting individuals to live healthy and fulfilled lives. The course will benefit anyone working, or looking to work, with individuals who have an autistic spectrum condition.
This course is split into six manageable units:
- Unit 1: Introduction to autism
- Unit 2: Using a person-centred approach to support individuals with autism
- Unit 3: Communication and social interaction in individuals with autism
- Unit 4: Sensory processing, perception and cognition in individuals with autism
- Unit 5: Supporting positive behaviour in individuals with autism
- Unit 6: Supporting individuals with autism to live healthy and fulfilled lives
The benefits for completing this course are:
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Improve your adult social care skills to help you create a long-standing career pathway in your chosen industry
- Courses are delivered as distance learning, allowing you to choose when and where to study
- Personal tutors are assigned to ensure you have the support needed to succeed