The cleaning industry covers a diverse range of environments and skills, from laundry and domestic cleaning to commercial and specialised services. This varied industry employs around one million people in the UK and continues to grow across all sectors.
Have you ever thought about pursuing a career in the cleaning industry, or simply want to gain a more thorough understanding of this fundamental skill to apply to your own situation at home or in the workplace? This qualification provides you with vital knowledge of the main principles and skills of cleaning that can be used across a range of environments.
It is worth noting that in unit 6 you will be required to produce a witness observation. Your tutor will explain how this can be achieved in their welcome email to you. If you are unsure please contact our distance learning team on
Students wishing to undertake the certificate should be aged 19 or over. There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification, however, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 1 qualification.
|Study level||Cost||Additional fees|
|19+||FREE *subject to eligibility checks||There are no additional costs if you meet the eligibility criteria, which will be explained during enrolment.|
You will be added to our Equal platform, where you will be able to access all the learning resources and assessments to complete. You will be allocated your own personal tutor who you can contact throughout your studies. You will be required to work through a series of tasks and activities designed to reinforce the learning process and demonstrate your knowledge. Your personal tutor will then assess your work and provide you with constructive feedback for each unit. All of our award-winning learning resources are of the highest quality and are designed to be engaging and interactive to keep you focused on your learning at all times.
You should be able to work at a Level 1 in Functional Skills.
This is a 16 week course that requires your own time management for study. You will be given submission dates to keep you focused on the 16 week timeframe.
Anyone with an interest in the processes of cleaning, both domestically and professionally.
Gaining an understanding of the basic principles of cleanliness, hygiene and waste management will allow you to make informed cleaning decisions and enable you to open the doors to a new career or progress within a current role.
This course is split into six manageable units covering the following topics:
- Unit 1: Dealing with routine and non-routine waste
- Unit 2: Health and safety for the cleaning and support services industry
- Unit 3: Working with customers and others in the cleaning and support services industry
- Unit 4: Infection control, RIDDOR and COSHH in cleaning settings
- Unit 5: Principles of decontamination, cleaning and waste management
- Unit 6: Cleaning of interiors and washrooms. (unit 6 includes witness observations)
The benefits for completing this course are:
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Improve your adult social care skills to help you create a long-standing career pathway in your chosen industry
- Courses are delivered as distance learning, allowing you to choose when and where to study
- Personal tutors are assigned to ensure you have the support needed to succeed