Our Functional Skills courses can equip learners with anything from Entry Level to Level 2 knowledge of t reading, writing, speaking and listening.
According to the National Literacy Trust, 16% of adults are ‘functionally illiterate’, so it is more important than ever to provide a basic source of English education.
Students wishing to undertake the certificate should be aged 19 or over.
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification, however, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 1 qualification.
|Study level||Cost||Additional fees|
|19+||FREE *subject to eligibility checks||There are no additional costs if you meet the eligibility criteria, which will be explained during enrolment.|
You will be added to our Equal platform, where you will be able to access all the learning resources and assessments to complete.
You will be allocated your own personal tutor who you can contact throughout your studies. Your personal tutor will then assess your work and provide you with constructive feedback for each unit.
You will be required to work through a series of tasks and activities designed to reinforce the learning process and demonstrate your knowledge.
All of our award-winning learning resources are of the highest quality and are designed to be engaging and interactive to keep you focused on your learning at all times.
You should be able to work towards a Level 1 in functional skills.
This is a 16-week course that requires your own time management for study. You will be given submission dates to keep you focused on the 16-week timeframe.
This course is ideal for learners who wish to improve their English skills. Our e-learning resources are sequenced to challenge the learner and maximise the development of crucial skills for work and life.
- Identifying and distinguishing between facts, opinion and bias
- Purposes of texts
- Textual features and devices
- Linguistic techniques
- Comparing and contrasting texts
- Punctuation, grammar and sentence structure
- Formal and informal language
- Layouts, format and structure of texts
- Writing texts
Speaking and Listening -
- Identifying and following information from various texts
- Communicating information, ideas and opinions clearly
- Making relevant and constructive contributions
Benefits of this course include:
- Full access to our e-learning solution which develops your knowledge to help you achieve the nationally recognised Functional Skills Maths and English qualifications
- This interactive course is delivered via distance learning, allowing you to choose when and where you study
- Our activities are designed to help you apply learning to real life scenarios
- Study will enhance both your personal skills and professional development
- The course will be individualised for you via diagnostic assessment to focus on any gaps in knowledge
- Personal tutors are assigned to you to ensure you have the support needed to succeed